Department of Planning and Information
The Department of Planning and Information was created in 1993 (as the Planning Unit under HQs) within the general Government Policy of having Sectoral Planning Units for each Ministry. The unit was turned into a Department in line with restructuring programme in 2005 to be responsible for coordinating the planning of the Ministry’s policies and programmes and effectively monitoring and evaluating their implementation as well as providing necessary information on the Ministry’s programmes and operations.
The overall objective of the department is to improve strategic planning, information management, resource mobilization, gender mainstreaming, facilitate policy formulation and analysis as well as impact assessment in the areas within the Ministry’s mandate.
The Department is headed by a Director who is assisted by six (6) unit heads. The following are the units:-
- Communication and Education Unit.
- Development Coordination Unit;
- Information and Communication Technology Unit
- Monitoring and Evaluation Unit;
- Planning and Budgeting Unit;
- Policy, Parliamentary and Cabinet Business Unit
The functions of the Department include:-
- Information Systems Management,
- Monitoring and Evaluation of ministerial programmes
- Policy Coordination, Parliamentary and Cabinet Business;
- Planning and Budgeting;
- Resource Mobilization;
- Research, Communication and Education;